PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between FMA and FMA: Brotherhood

SurgeonOfDeath
08-19-2014, 05:08 AM
I'm gonna start watching it, I just want to know what the difference is.

Are they prequel & sequel series? Are they completely separate? Should I watch one before the other?

THE TALL MAN
08-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Brotherhood is a faithful adaptation of the manga. The original anime started as a faithful adaptation, but was made before the manga ended, so it had to make up its own answers and follow its own story.

I'd still recommend watching both. The original anime has more than its fair share of unique merits, including a more grounded, bittersweet story.

Antdog
08-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Lon pretty much got it, FMAB stays very close to the actual manga with little filler involved while the original FMA has a shitload of filler. I'd suggest watching FMAB first as it's the better of the two imo but you could watch it in any order though if you wanna stay close to caanon go with FMAB first

kenteedi
08-19-2014, 09:08 AM
If you watch FMA first you will have more questions than answers. So as suggested above watch FMAB first and then you'll not get confused while watching FMA

SurgeonOfDeath
08-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Alright thanks bros

RockSauron
08-19-2014, 05:35 PM
As someone who only watched Brotherhood as I wanted to see the original story, I'm curious- about where does the plotline of the original anime diverge from the manga/ Brotherhood?

Tyler
08-19-2014, 06:51 PM
I think the original fma stops doing cannon around episode 28

But theres like 8 or not filler episodes before that too... so really they barely got anything done.

Brotherhood speeds through the first few arcs.

they left out the mine one with Yoki who pretty much just appears out of nowhere in brotherhood because of it (aside from like a 30 second flashback cartoon thing they glossed over it.)

SurgeonOfDeath
08-22-2014, 07:24 PM
I have to say, this is a fantastic series. I'm only on episode 30, so no spoilers please :)

Fav character is probably torn between Mustang and Ling/Greed. Although I haven't truly met Kimbley, and he sounds badass.

RockSauron
08-22-2014, 07:52 PM
I have to say, this is a fantastic series. I'm only on episode 30, so no spoilers please :)

Fav character is probably torn between Mustang and Ling/Greed. Although I haven't truly met Kimbley, and he sounds badass.

I take it you're watching Brotherhood? And yeah, it was awesome. I blitzed through the series in a weekend. No regrets.

Also, the early episodes may have seemed rushed. For reference, episode 24 of the original series, when it diverted from canon, was about episode 12 of brotherhood. And the first episode of Brotherhood was filler. Good filler though.

The mangaka says she thought of the ending and everything beforehand, so it does all tie together pretty well in the end I'd say with no rewrites to try and drag it on and figure out plotholes.

Ed93david
08-22-2014, 08:25 PM

Too me Mustang is the baddest of all bad assess that's why he's my favorite, second place goes to Ling

But too be honest, the biggest most badass character on the series is King m#ther****in Bradley, it's not really much of a spoiler

Santoryu
08-23-2014, 12:51 AM
My favorites are Greeling, bradley and Mustang. In that order.

Mugetsu
08-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Although I love Brotherhood way more, I happened to watch FMA first. Having said that, I was actually shocked with how... things were wrapped up. Don't get me wrong, I loved how they both ended, but the first series felt more (said above) grounded and bittersweet, and the show as a whole felt darker. It might be just me but I noticed the art style changed slightly and it just gave a slightly different feel. Also Scar was handled wayyy differently (I actually thought it was rather fitting what happened).

But yeah, Greeling's a goddamn boss. And I cried like a b!tch at the end.

Ed93david
08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
I hate how the show ended, but to be honest, I have never liked any ending of any of the shows I have seen.
I got teary-eyed during the finale, but I feel like it was a weak ending to such a great series.

Lucian
08-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Like it's not really mandatory to watch FMA before FMA Brotherhood, but I would recommend it. No they're not prequel and sequel.

FMA is the original story.

FMA Brotherhood is a different interpretation of the story, they changed a lot of things, took out minor things, added some characters, and extended the story.

I personally prefer FMA Brotherhood to FMA.

RockSauron
08-24-2014, 01:53 PM
FMA is the original story.

FMA Brotherhood is a different interpretation of the story, they changed a lot of things, took out minor things, added some characters, and extended the story.

You got that mixed up.

FMA is a different interpretation made because the manga was no where close to being finished in 2003

FMA Brotherhood is the original interpretation of the story that follows the manga's plotline.

Lucian
08-24-2014, 05:37 PM
You got that mixed up.

FMA is a different interpretation made because the manga was no where close to being finished in 2003

FMA Brotherhood is the original interpretation of the story that follows the manga's plotline.

I never read the manga.

RockSauron
08-24-2014, 06:12 PM
I never read the manga.

Neither have I. Regardless, FMA: B is still the original story.

SurgeonOfDeath
08-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Seems as tho my favorites line up with a lot of yours. Please, no spoilers still, I'm enjoying this series not knowing what'll happen next.

Updated favorites: Mustang, Greeling, Kimblee

SurgeonOfDeath
09-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Finished. Goddamn, it's such an empty feeling when a good series ends. But I love the way it ended. Overall one of the best animes I've ever watched.

Only thing that irked me was that Grummins became Führer President. I knew Mustang still had to work for it, but I really wanted to see him in that seat.

RockSauron
09-01-2014, 12:56 AM
Finished. Goddamn, it's such an empty feeling when a good series ends. But I love the way it ended. Overall one of the best animes I've ever watched.

Only thing that irked me was that Grummins became Führer President. I knew Mustang still had to work for it, but I really wanted to see him in that seat.

Silly SurgeonOfDeath, Blind people can't be Fuhrer!

... Seriously. I don't think it was explained in the anime, but the manga final chapter made it clear that that was the reason he couldn't be Fuhrer yet.

Guess we wouldn't want a blind president either :/

SurgeonOfDeath
09-01-2014, 02:49 AM
Marcoh cured him of blindness with the stone. He did Havoc first, but Mustang still said he'd take the treatment. The reason he wasn't Führer yet was because he wanted to clean up Ishbal.

Hikaru
09-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Now get on the feels train, and let me introduce to you the best FMA:BH anime music video creator out there, Vinurify. :came:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTAxzsetw1I

RockSauron
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Marcoh cured him of blindness with the stone. He did Havoc first, but Mustang still said he'd take the treatment. The reason he wasn't Führer yet was because he wanted to clean up Ishbal.

... No? Marcoh offered him to heal his eyes after the old guy became Fuhrer. And becoming Fuhrer would have greatly helped with him helping Ishval.

And here is proof that he didn't become Fuhrer because of his blindness

http://i35.mangapanda.com/full-metal-alchemist/108/full-metal-alchemist-3145927.jpg

the anime cut out some lines for some reason.

SurgeonOfDeath
09-02-2014, 01:55 AM
I didn't see him give up the seat in the anime, so thanks for that. I'll have to read the scene in the manga version to clear it up.

--------------

So I read it. Quite a few differences. The deal with Mustang is he'll get his eyes fixed by Marcoh, as long as Mustang cleans up Ishval. The Havoc thing must have been filler. So we can just believe that Mustang becomes Führer once he and Grummins are ready c: