PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the deal with One Piece?

RockSauron
09-23-2014, 03:49 PM
Not meant to be mean or anything. Just curious about why exactly people like it so much.

Is it just because of no retcons and appropriate power scaling? It just seems like the basic core plot isn't that interesting... IDK, jsut never really got why it's hailed as the greatest Shonen or whatever. I guess I could read or watch it myself, and the new One Piece game looks like it's a single player game starting from the beginning and going through some of the story, which is what I'd want a Naruto game to be...

So, OP fans, if you don't mind me asking... what exactly is the "hook"?

Antdog
09-23-2014, 04:34 PM
It's just good overall. It has many many many great characters, the pow*ers characters can use in the form of Haki and Devil fruit are unique and add a twist on how battles are fought, the world building in OP is amazing, the plot of the story is fun and enjoyable, the battles are fun to watch alot of the time and the power scale isn't all that bad either, ect. Though some people don't like the art style and the pacing can be a bit bad here and there(pacing even worst for the anime after the EL arc). Give it a try when ya have some free time

Young Master
09-23-2014, 04:39 PM
If you are going to give it a go, at least finish Arlong Park.

Hikaru
09-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Agreed. Most people quit One Piece after the first arc, because it till that point seems kinda generic even. To me, One Piece features the most likable set of characters in the shonen circus. You get closer to Luffy than you do to Naruto or Ichigo, and especially the side characters, to me, are vastly superior to those series. Goku and Luffy are pretty similar in my book when it comes to likability.

Electrorocket
09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
One Piece.

Pirates.

It's aight. I believe it's over hyped, but I should say that it is definitely one of the best Shonen that exists, or at least it is better than the other Shonen manga by a lot.

If, that is, you can get past the art style of the manga, which translates into the anime a bit. I personally cannot stand watching the anime, but the manga is good.

What it is good at is it's ability to create plot-lines and stories that you probably couldn't get in other manga. The world is very open and free, much like Luffy himself. It changes all the time, villians are amazing and vibrant, most characters have their own odd laugh, and there's more, but I personally am not one to talk a lot about One Piece.

RMGMDPunk
09-23-2014, 06:40 PM
>basic core plot

What? To become the Pirate King?

Yeah because that's so much better than I WANNA BE THE HOKAGE and shit.

But seriously, read it. It's the best for many, many reasons.

RockSauron
09-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah because that's so much better than I WANNA BE THE HOKAGE and shit.

? There's a lot more to Naruto's core plot than that... In fact, that hasn't really been too important in the long run of the series...

so far, all I've managed to see is that it's the best at power-scaling and giving all characters good screentime... Which is fine and all, and something I'd love to see more in general (even if my shonen knowledge is limited to DBZ and Naruto, and FMAB if that counts), I just want more of a core story than just "to find the ultimate treasure".

RMGMDPunk
09-23-2014, 10:34 PM
No, the very core of Naruto's plot is his dream to become Hokage. Don't be silly and act like it isn't.

Electrorocket
09-23-2014, 10:35 PM
? There's a lot more to Naruto's core plot than that... In fact, that hasn't really been too important in the long run of the series...

so far, all I've managed to see is that it's the best at power-scaling and giving all characters good screentime... Which is fine and all, and something I'd love to see more in general (even if my shonen knowledge is limited to DBZ and Naruto, and FMAB if that counts), I just want more of a core story than just "to find the ultimate treasure".

Being the Pirate King isn't about treasure in one Piece. And like Naruto, nobody really talks about Luffy becoming the Pirate King, he basically gets side-tracked because of his wanderlust and his awesomeness. However it's done in a much better way than Narutos plot line.

However there isn't a core-story to One Piece. Well, there is one, but it's done in a way that there are multiple core stories within the wanting to become a Pirate King. It sets up the same group within a new setting (settings which are vast btw, from an island that's half ice and half volcano, to an island where giants roam, etc) and new powerful villians, funny/dramatic/cool side characters, etc.

One Piece honestly reminds me of Cowboy Bebop in how it does that. Not any other way though, mainly just the setting/characters thing.

The main difference being that shows like Naruto, the villians have existed forever throughout the series and it's all one big Arc from what I can tell, like the Akatsuki or whatever other dudes, and everybody knows everyone somehow or something. In One Piece, characters show up out of the blue, being crazy and insanely random sometimes. Every setting has it's own story and it's own stories that separates it from other settings. Like the whale. Oh the whale. That sh*t be emotional.

Electrorocket
09-23-2014, 10:37 PM
No, the very core of Naruto's plot is his dream to become Hokage. Don't be silly and act like it isn't.

But it isn't though.

I don't get why people say it is.

I thought it was about Naruto and Sasukes homosexual relationship.

I'm not even kidding. Well, I'm kidding about the homosexual part, but not the other part. The Hokage thing isn't even a big deal in Naruto. It's all about the relationships between Naruto and other characters and how even an outcast can become something great. Or something.

SurgeonOfDeath
09-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Definitely give it a go, describing it doesn't do it justice, you have to experience it. Like YM said, at the very least get past the Arlong Park arc, as it's the first true badass arc.

People slam on it for having a different artwork and lackluster pacing at times, but it's not really noticeable to me so I wouldn't know.

Best parts about it are by far the character development (absolutely astounding, you'll see what I mean especially after Enies Lobby), the world (huuuuuggggeee open world where anything can happen), and the power scaling. You don't have the main character running around using nakama punch to defeat people way above his power level. There aren't any unrealistic power boosts either.

As for the plot, "Pirate King" is just the protagonist's dream. Far from being the whole story. The plot is very immersive, and very "microscope/telescope". What I mean by that is that you'll get lost in all these minor stories and arcs, and then take a look at the big picture and how it affects the manga as a whole and just be like "Damn."

Mugetsu
09-24-2014, 02:45 AM
As Surgeon said^

While I personally prefer Bleach, One Piece is amazing. The storytelling is fantastic and it simply requires a little time for you to really feel that sense of grandeur. The world building is masterfully done, and things that may seem like minor details may actually become really important. "Microscope/telescope"... aptly put :P You have many mini stories and facets to said stories that alone would capture your attention, from the fishmen, to the Tenryuubito(u?), to the Shichibukai, to the Revolutionaries, the World Government and the Marines, the Yonkou, and even the just the Straw Hats, yet there's always a bigger picture and everything is connected~

Young Master
09-24-2014, 04:05 AM
As Surgeon said^

While I personally prefer Bleach, One Piece is amazing. The storytelling is fantastic and it simply requires a little time for you to really feel that sense of grandeur. The world building is masterfully done, and things that may seem like minor details may actually become really important. "Microscope/telescope"... aptly put :P You have many mini stories and facets to said stories that alone would capture your attention, from the fishmen, to the Tenryuubito(u?), to the Shichibukai, to the Revolutionaries, the World Government and the Marines, the Yonkou, and even the just the Straw Hats, yet there's always a bigger picture and everything is connected~

This. The world building is amazing. Everything is connected like one big spider web. Always something new to discover and explore. Every time the SH's progress, the world progresses with them. There's also all the secrets we are still dying to figure out and shit to look forward to(thanks to foreshadowing). It's worth a shot, I mean what's there to lose? If you get into it, you will have something new to look forward to every week when Naruto ends.

RockSauron
09-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Eh I guess I'll give it a try, I did read the first chapter a while ago and I am intrigued by the concept of building a "guild" of sorts. I just didn't really get why everyone said it was so great. I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best" and was curious about if One Peace was any different.

Questions, though: 1. Is the anime for it decent? And 2. That new game that was jsut announced, it says it goes up to a certain arc. Which chapter does that arc begin/ end, so I can have an idea how much that game covers as I'm curious?

RMGMDPunk
09-26-2014, 08:54 PM
the fact that the last battle in Naruto revolves around the title of Hokage and what it means, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread. Being Hokage IS the core plot of Naruto otherwise it wouldn't be such a big topic for the final battle of the series.

Also

>I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best"

Bullshit! His final goal is to be the Hokage aka the Most Recognized and Best Ninja in the village!

RockSauron
09-26-2014, 09:54 PM
the fact that the last battle in Naruto revolves around the title of Hokage and what it means, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread. Being Hokage IS the core plot of Naruto otherwise it wouldn't be such a big topic for the final battle of the series.

Also

>I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best"

Bullshit! His final goal is to be the Hokage aka the Most Recognized and Best Ninja in the village!

Yes, because there is absolutely nothing more to the story than him just trying to be hokage >_>

Are you serious? >_>

And you're saying the final battle jsut has to do with being Hokage?

... You can't possibly think that. I mean, it's not like their motivations are hidden or anything >_>

Electrorocket
09-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Oh. I was thinking about the idea of what an actual Hokage is.

However in this case, Naruto and Sasuke have varying opinions on what Hokage is, both are very different from any other Hokage or leader before them.

Regardless, if the core plot of Naruto was about becoming Hokage, that would mean that there is no-

Sh*t I can't go there it be too much dawg.

John
09-27-2014, 01:06 AM
just give it a go. the art takes some time getting used to.

but once you get going the story will keep you wanting more and you'll forget about the art in the beginning.

SurgeonOfDeath
09-27-2014, 02:09 AM
Eh I guess I'll give it a try, I did read the first chapter a while ago and I am intrigued by the concept of building a "guild" of sorts. I just didn't really get why everyone said it was so great. I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best" and was curious about if One Peace was any different.

Questions, though: 1. Is the anime for it decent? And 2. That new game that was jsut announced, it says it goes up to a certain arc. Which chapter does that arc begin/ end, so I can have an idea how much that game covers as I'm curious?

1) Sort of. It's gone down in quality but I think it's good in the beginning. If you do watch it, skip the filler arcs except for the G8 arc. You can do a quick Google search to find out where the fillers start and end. The G8 arc starts right after Skypeia.

2) I assume you're talking about Pirate Warriors 3? It goes from the beginning until the current arc - Dressrosa arc.

RMGMDPunk
09-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes, because there is absolutely nothing more to the story than him just trying to be hokage >_>

Are you serious? >_>

And you're saying the final battle jsut has to do with being Hokage?

... You can't possibly think that. I mean, it's not like their motivations are hidden or anything >_>

Do you seriously not know what the CORE plot of the series is? For any series, the core plot is the most basic form of everything and doesn't include all of the branching storylines. Naruto's goal and driving force for the entire series has been to become Hokage. Are and Electrorocket really trying to pretend it's something else?

Because it really isn't.

Also the dialogue so far for the last battle is about the meaning of Hokage so if you look at just that battle, that's what it is about.

RockSauron
09-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Do you seriously not know what the CORE plot of the series is? For any series, the core plot is the most basic form of everything and doesn't include all of the branching storylines. Naruto's goal and driving force for the entire series has been to become Hokage. Are and Electrorocket really trying to pretend it's something else?

Because it really isn't.

Also the dialogue so far for the last battle is about the meaning of Hokage so if you look at just that battle, that's what it is about.

Are you honestly saying that the past 700 chapters have just been about Naruto trying to become Hokage?

That it hasn't been about acceptance or hatred? Thatit's just been about Naruto trying to become the best?

And you honestly think Naruto and Sasuke are fighting over the title of Hokage? Have you missed the entirety of their conversation?

What the ****ing shit... I find it ahrd to beleive ANYONe can be this ****ing retarded...

Electrorocket
09-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Are you honestly saying that the past 700 chapters have just been about Naruto trying to become Hokage?

That it hasn't been about acceptance or hatred? Thatit's just been about Naruto trying to become the best?

And you honestly think Naruto and Sasuke are fighting over the title of Hokage? Have you missed the entirety of their conversation?

What the ****ing shit... I find it ahrd to beleive ANYONe can be this ****ing retarded...

Hey man, he's saying it's the core plot, not the core message or meaning of the story.

Although nothing having to do with being Hokage has happened, it is the 'Core Plot,' that paves the way for Narutos character development and now other characters as well apparently.

RMGMDPunk
09-27-2014, 09:51 PM

I find it hard to believe that your reading comprehension skills are so shitty. You were talking about how basic the core plot of One Piece is since it's "To Become the Pirate King" and all that. But when it comes to Naruto clearly the MAIN CHARACTER/TITLE CHARACTER's goal is NOT the core plot? Maybe you should think before you speak.

Tyler
09-28-2014, 01:53 AM
You don't have the main character running around using nakama punch to defeat people way above his power level. There aren't any unrealistic power boosts either.

na enes lobby was full of nakama punch

but it gets a pass for being awesome.

Dark sasune
09-29-2014, 02:56 AM
The thing with one piece that makes it really good(Although being overhyped) is that when you read the manga the characters are all interesting and they have alot of character development. It doesn't really Have to focus on the story to be interesting, You just want to watch them grow and develop. This is the one manga where if anything shit happended or POS you can look away because the world is so immerseful.
While naruto is forced to just focus on plot with little to no character devlopment.
If you like Naruto, you will definitely like One Piece.

Wes23
03-11-2020, 09:02 AM
super

mark lauri
05-04-2020, 03:46 PM
hallo peopl