PDA

View Full Version : Best Shonen of ALL TIME?

Mikeyoshi
07-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Hunter x Hunter hands down, even though Katekyo Hitman Reborn is my favorite. What do you all think?

BeyondManga
07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
If by Shonen you mean the magazines then I can't really choose just one. but these are some of my faves
YuYu Hakusho
http://i.imgur.com/frRkfK7.png

Shaman King
http://i.imgur.com/7fji94K.png

Outside of the Shonen Jump magazines it'd probably be

Beyblade (Seasons 1-3)
http://i.imgur.com/BIX5G3m.png

Trigun
http://i.imgur.com/Rk3gw4T.png

Inuyasha
http://i.imgur.com/9XKNRMS.png

Obito
07-08-2014, 10:21 AM
In terms of the genre then it'd have to be one of the two: Naruto and Toriko, believe it or not. It's the only series that has represented this genre that has had me captivated for so long.

Now don't get me wrong, Naruto is far from my favorite series, I don't think it'd even be in my top ten, but as for the genre I think it represents it the best from what I like. Of course I like things such as HunterxHunter, Medaka Box, etc., but all of them don't represent the genre for me. As for Toriko, the originality and the spirit that the series carries makes me feel like I'm reading something like DBZ when I was a kid, only Toriko has a pretty good plot.

As for HxH the only arc that really feels like it represents Shonen is the Chimera Ant arc. The rest feel borderline seinin with a twelve year old protagonist so it can go under the title of Shonen. In Medaka Box it breaks down most typical shonen tropes due to being a satire based on shonen, and that is a major reason why I can not consider it.

There are other shonen that I've read that I feel can fall into the Shonen category (Hitman Reborn, DBZ, YYH, OP, etc) but don't represent what I love about shonen. After thinking about it some more, I think I would pick Toriko over Naruto, but both represent things I love from Shonen and thus makes them my favorite shonen of all time (so far).

Ootsutsuki
07-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Best Shonen of ALL TIME? Well in terms of sales it's most likely One Piece. However in personal preference, currently I believe Hunter x Hunter is taking that spot. However my favourite Anime is YuYu Hakusho so I'd say its that, however that spot is slowly being taken by Hunter x Hunter in my opinion.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/211/d/b/gon_and_yusuke_coverphoto_by_feitanpainpacker-d598gjk.png

Urahara
07-08-2014, 04:08 PM
For Shonen I would with Fullmetal Alchemist

Toriko
07-08-2014, 06:11 PM
If by Shonen you mean the magazines then I can't really choose just one. but these are some of my faves
YuYu Hakusho
http://i.imgur.com/frRkfK7.png

Trigun
http://i.imgur.com/Rk3gw4T.png

Inuyasha
http://i.imgur.com/9XKNRMS.png

Shaman King
http://i.imgur.com/7fji94K.png

Outside of the Shonen Jump magazines it'd probably be

Beyblade (Seasons 1-3)
http://i.imgur.com/BIX5G3m.png

Trigun and Inuyasha aren't jump ^_^;;
They were serialized by other companies

Toriko
07-08-2014, 06:46 PM
As for on going Manga that are ongoing. The peak of Shonen jump's 3 main Themes, is in the Top Manga out right now.

Naruto
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/p320x320/10380887_317115641780830_3185738363281979459_n.jpg

One Piece
http://37.media.tumblr.com/3d2a61d22f323b9b6a038ad408e55280/tumblr_mj1mrvlbWn1s7r93fo1_500.jpg

and
Toriko
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121215164813/toriko/images/thumb/e/e9/Toriko_ready_for_fight.jpg/500px-Toriko_ready_for_fight.jpg

They have not only shown that they care for their friend's over their soul, but they have worked hard to be strong, and in the end, come out ontop with a great smile on their face. Valuing togetherness.

But of all time, I would have to say is the Father anime. The one who inspired all which is the tale of the Monkey boy who climbed the tower

Son Goku in Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/96/dc/9896dc213971ee8501a390bf1f8704dc.jpg

The whole life of a boy, who started with nothing, and rose to be the protector of the universe, never backing down or giving up. His jovial tale taking him to new heights, I love this anime the most, not just for nostalgia. But because the truest Hero I've seen has gone through so much, to become so strong, and deserves everything he had. Everything he earned, for nothing was handed to him for free.

Raijin
07-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Best Shonen of ALL TIME? Well in terms of sales it's most likely One Piece. However in personal preference, currently I believe Hunter x Hunter is taking that spot. However my favourite Anime is YuYu Hakusho so I'd say its that, however that spot is slowly being taken by Hunter x Hunter in my opinion.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/211/d/b/gon_and_yusuke_coverphoto_by_feitanpainpacker-d598gjk.png
this and only this. Totally agree, my thoughts exactly! Maybe I am the only one, but I kind of wish that Ging and Yusuke would be kind of related to each other (some unknown family ties, they just look so similar), some very subtile manga relation. Nen seems to be an more advanced use of territory of YYH. But that's just too far fetched and is basically me seeing connections which do not exist :D

BeyondManga
07-09-2014, 03:35 AM
Trigun and Inuyasha aren't jump ^_^;;
They were serialized by other companies
Thanks I've made corrections.

Toriko
07-09-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks I've made corrections.

Anytime

Young Master
07-10-2014, 01:01 AM
One Piece is my personal favorite. It will always be number one in my eyes.

BeyondManga
07-10-2014, 01:08 AM
One Piece is my personal favorite. It will always be number one in my eyes.
Dropped it after the first ten episodes. Don't think I'll pick it up again. Too childish. Plus I've had a fear of clowns ever since I went to the circus when I was a little kid. I dislike them with a passion.

Griffin
07-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Um... best Shonen of all time... For me that means what represents the genre as a whole. Although I LOVE Medaka Box, it is a Satire on the Shonen Genre, so it is automatically eliminated, poking fun at the genre that it is representing. I would either have to say Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, or Naruto as the best Shonen of all time, as these series, in my opinion, represent the Shonen Genre the best.

Tatsumi Oga & Baby Beel
07-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Basically: Weekly JUMP.

RockSauron
07-11-2014, 08:09 PM
... I really should stop being lazy and watch something that isn't Naruto. My only fear is that, once I actually get into something, I get into it hard. Eh.

Anonymous
07-11-2014, 08:33 PM
... I really should stop being lazy and watch something that isn't Naruto. My only fear is that, once I actually get into something, I get into it hard. Eh.

Hunter X Hunter

RockSauron
07-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Hunter X Hunter

Yeah, that is what I was thinking of trying. I did watch the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood a long time ago, but for some reason never bothered continuing.

Griffin
07-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking of trying. I did watch the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood a long time ago, but for some reason never bothered continuing.

I definitely recommend Hunter X Hunter, it takes a tiny bit to get into it, but once it gets going, you are literally sucked in. FMA:B is good but from my experience, either you love it, like it, or just don't like it. I am in the category of "like it", it all just depends on what interests you.

Bardock3601
07-12-2014, 12:16 AM
Its OG dragon ball for me

Mugetsu
07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Bleach is bae, Soul Society is like my favorite arc evarrrrrr.

I really did like Trigun tho, FMA/FMAB, Naruto, One Piece, HxH too, these my babies.

Lucian
07-12-2014, 03:36 AM
1. Dragon Ball
2. One Piece (need to catch up by alot, but when I was caught up it was pretty amazing.)
3. Bleach

Yomi
07-12-2014, 03:39 AM
You're just begging for bias replies and arguments.

Gon Freecss
07-12-2014, 03:44 AM
0. Dragon Ball Z
1. One Piece
2. Hunter X Hunter
3. Toriko

Lucian
07-12-2014, 04:04 AM

Not necessarily, opinion is not fact, simple as.

Griffin
07-12-2014, 04:25 AM

As long as everyone is respectful to each other's opinion on what is the "Best Shonen of All Time", there shouldn't be any arguments.

Yomi
07-12-2014, 05:58 AM
As long as everyone is respectful to each other's opinion on what is the "Best Shonen of All Time", there shouldn't be any arguments.

I have no obligation to respect the opinions of others.

Bardock3601
07-12-2014, 06:13 AM
I have no obligation to respect the opinions of others.

technically you are socially obligated to respect the opinions of others, but you can choose to ignore that obligation. However then nobody has to respect you either and this whole issue starts. In the end its better to just pretend you respect their opinions but contradict them regardless. That way you dont come off as appearing to be the chute in which waste is removed from the body (mods dont like us cursing or bypassing the filter, use your imagination)

Mugetsu
07-12-2014, 06:20 AM
technically you are socially obligated to respect the opinions of others, but you can choose to ignore that obligation. However then nobody has to respect you either and this whole issue starts. In the end its better to just pretend you respect their opinions but contradict them regardless. That way you dont come off as appearing to be the chute in which waste is removed from the body (mods dont like us cursing or bypassing the filter, use your imagination)

She faked it xD Agreed though, I'd rather avoid senseless conflict, and not be considered a rectum~

Yomi
07-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Having a personal viewpoint on a matter doesn't automatically garner respect. If that's what to be socially expected then currently, society is flawed. Pretending to respect someone's viewpoint then contradicting them is even more insulting. It's better to be a truthful asshole than a pleasant liar. If I want to avoid confrontation I keep my mouth shut, instead of belittling my opinions to uphold the opinions of another.

I don't care what's socially expected. Not far off into the pass it was socially expected to do many things we now find immoral/wrong. Social boundaries change over time; and so will this unspoken rule I have never heard of.

Lucian
07-12-2014, 07:11 AM

We should, but
it's a forums, of course there will be arguments.
But I don't mind. :rolleyes:

Mugetsu
07-12-2014, 07:15 AM
For every opinion there's gonna be someone who doesn't agree, and most likely start an argument., it's just how people are.

Bardock3601
07-12-2014, 07:27 AM
Having a personal viewpoint on a matter doesn't automatically garner respect. If that's what to be socially expected then currently, society is flawed. Pretending to respect someone's viewpoint then contradicting them is even more insulting. It's better to be a truthful asshole than a pleasant liar. If I want to avoid confrontation I keep my mouth shut, instead of belittling my opinions to uphold the opinions of another.

I don't care what's socially expected. Not far off into the pass it was socially expected to do many things we now find immoral/wrong. Social boundaries change over time; and so will this unspoken rule I have never heard of.

See you're just being contradictory for the sake of being contradictory, just because the bulk of society does something doesn't instantly mean it can be compared to shaking with only your right hand (or any other outdated and/or meaningless social construct). respecting someone elses opinions is the gateway towards understanding them and peacefully cooperating with them, if you consider that flawed just save yourself some time and move to some place like Russia or north korea where people (who im sure share that belief), are in charge. And i didnt say that pretending to respect their opinions was the right thing but its better than being a jerk(also a really outdated term) , nobody said you had to "uphold" it lol just not be an extremity with which female are inseminated (which people have universally frowned upon since time immemorial). I will end my part in this debacle with these words "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Yomi
07-12-2014, 07:45 AM
See you're just being contradictory for the sake of being contradictory, just because the bulk of society does something doesn't instantly mean it can be compared to shaking with only your right hand (or any other outdated and/or meaningless social construct). respecting someone elses opinions is the gateway towards understanding them and peacefully cooperating with them, if you consider that flawed just save yourself some time and move to some place like Russia or north korea where people (who im sure share that belief), are in charge. And i didnt say that pretending to respect their opinions was the right thing but its better than being a jerk(also a really outdated term) , nobody said you had to "uphold" it lol just not be an extremity with which female are inseminated (which people have universally frowned upon since time immemorial). I will end my part in this debacle with these words "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

You can respect freedom of speech without having to respect everything someone is saying, Let's take an extreme example. I don't respect the opinions of KKK/Neo Nazi members. That doesn't mean I'm against their freedom of speech, do not bend my words and mis-represent them. I hate it when I am misconstrued Bardock and you do this quite often.

Respecting the opinions of others =/= Respecting their right to speak. That's a completely different story.

Do I respect all opinions? NO!
Do I respect a person's right to speak that opinion,YES!

I don't have to respect something that I disagree with or find reprehensible, that's completely devaluing the word; but I do respect the laws that apply to all of us which is NOT PERSONAL!

Bardock3601
07-12-2014, 08:05 AM
You can respect freedom of speech without having to respect everything someone is saying, Let's take an extreme example. I don't respect the opinions of KKK/Neo Nazi members. That doesn't mean I'm against their freedom of speech, do not bend my words and mis-represent them. I hate it when I am misconstrued Bardock and you do this quite often.

Respecting the opinions of others =/= Respecting their right to speak. That's a completely different story.

Do I respect all opinions? NO!
Do I respect a person's right to speak that opinion,YES!

I don't have to respect something that I disagree with or find reprehensible, that's completely devaluing the word; but I do respect the laws that apply to all of us which is NOT PERSONAL!

See that, soooo much misunderstanding because you just wanna be right...You focused on my ending quote for that entire response (because you just didn't feel like addressing anything else i guess) but what you failed to see is that the quote (with the underlying 'freedom of speech' message you noticed) wasn't a shot at your argument at all, but was my words directed at you.It was me saying that I believe in YOUR right to say what YOU'RE currently saying but no, let that ego think that i attempted to use it to prove you wrong. Kinda looks like you misconstrueded my words Yomi

Mugetsu
07-12-2014, 08:09 AM
*pew pew* shots fired~

Bardock3601
07-12-2014, 08:24 AM
*pew pew* shots fired~

#BackInMyDay guns went pow pow, none of this new fangled pew pew nonsense....But im done with the off topic discussion anyway, it's a pointless debate if your opponent would never concede.

Sorry for getting off topic everyone, continue sharing your favorite shonen if yomi and i held it up

Yomi
07-12-2014, 08:54 AM
See that, soooo much misunderstanding because you just wanna be right...You focused on my ending quote for that entire response (because you just didn't feel like addressing anything else i guess) but what you failed to see is that the quote (with the underlying 'freedom of speech' message you noticed) wasn't a shot at your argument at all, but was my words directed at you.It was me saying that I believe in YOUR right to say what YOU'RE currently saying but no, let that ego think that i attempted to use it to prove you wrong. Kinda looks like you misconstrueded my words Yomi

I don't think anything else you said was worth responding too, since apparently I want to live in a dictatorship for not respecting every whim of another person that they deem opinion. Your second point is, "pretending is better than being a jerk" Well I've already stated that I'd rather be a truthful asshole than a lying pacifist; and you're third point. "Respecting opinions is the key to understanding and peace" Well sorry, I was raised to believe that honesty and openness were the keys to understanding one another. Not just pretending to feel a sense of admiration and deference to something because it came from another human.

Misunderstanding? What misunderstanding, read my first comment and my second. Nothing has changed. It's just the way you interpreted it has changed. I still haven't stated that people shouldn't have the right to speak. I just said that I don't have to respect everything that comes out of that persons mouth.

RMGMDPunk
07-12-2014, 01:46 PM
>read thread
>One Piece mentioned

Very good. This is one of my picks as its my favorite series of all time.

>no JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

OOOOOOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! - Joseph Joestar

Hikaru
07-12-2014, 02:48 PM
This would have been easier to answer a few years ago, when the superstars of shounen had not started to detoriate as much as they have. One Piece up till Water 7 arc, was a masterpiece. Bleach up till Soul Society, was a masterpiece. Naruto never really had me as much.

Air Gear, had it not been for the weird ending, would be right up there. Guess I'll just go with Dragon Ball, as every arc it had kinda owns in its own right. HunterXHunter, FMA etc. share the trait that they are too narrow to fit the standard shonen vast universe protocol, but quality wise, they are of course better.

Ninja
07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
If you are talking about Shonen in general then
http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/b6/b641ab1558169e54ca09fba7ffd7b0a7dfe3ea985d1aaf5701 76ebe62eabedeb/dbz-logo.jpg

RockSauron
07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
I definitely recommend Hunter X Hunter, it takes a tiny bit to get into it, but once it gets going, you are literally sucked in. FMA:B is good but from my experience, either you love it, like it, or just don't like it. I am in the category of "like it", it all just depends on what interests you.

Well, I decided to marathon FMA: Brotherhood. Like I said before, when I get into something, I REALLY get into it, so I marathoned 64 episodes in 2 days.

My brain hurts.

SurgeonOfDeath
07-15-2014, 11:46 PM
The number one Shonen will always be DBZ. It has legendary status and while there are better Shonen by far, DBZ is the one every other manga is compared to.

Statistically, One Piece is the best.

My personal opinion is also One Piece. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's for me. And apparently it's also for more people than in any other manga.

THE TALL MAN
08-19-2014, 04:39 AM
Best I've read, in terms of quality by length by consistency, is Shaman King.

300+ chapters of suspense, likeable characters, and decent to awesome combat. The manga had a good balance of power throughout, and I give it credit for following a single storyline without getting caught up on many cliches.

Hao was OP, occasionally to the point that it started pissing me off, but his power level made sense, and they found a surprising way of dealing with him that made the ending uniquely satisfying.

Runners up:
Alive: The Final Evolution
Death Note
Yu Yu Hakusho (would have been higher if not for bad pacing and a poor final arc. The anime actually improves on the manga a lot, IMO)
Naruto (another case of a final arc screwing up what was otherwise a great story)

Antdog
08-19-2014, 05:29 AM
Based on the ones I have read/seen so far I'd say Fullmetal Alchemist is the best one to me with OP coming in second

Dei
08-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Dragon Ball Z. It just is.

As for runners up, I agree with Ono.

I'd add Bleach to the list, in the bottom.

kenteedi
08-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Katekyo Hitman Reborn for me

Tyler
08-19-2014, 06:44 PM
One piece... Pre time skip, afterwards its just not as good for me.

DBZ is great, because of nostalgia, but it has a lot of problems.

Kaneki
09-07-2014, 05:35 PM
I would have to say DBZ

Brandon Lee
09-07-2014, 11:17 PM
best shonen of all the time?

Naruto part 1, Dragon Ball/Z or YuYu Hakusho (i haven't read op yet so don't bash me)

Favorite one?

Inuyasha

oouks
02-14-2020, 11:27 AM

Wes23
03-11-2020, 09:59 AM
Yea it is