Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name Change

Lightbulb Name Change

I Propose to have a Name Change System, you would be able to change ur name, twice every 30 days.

that'd be cool for those to want a fresh new name, and the restrictions are debatable, so it can't be abused.

One Day I Want To Fight You All Out..
    To find out which is stronger between my styles and Yours..
    ..But as long as my eyes are black, i'm not going to lose!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RyuujiTK PSN ID: RyuujiTK Steam ID: psn_ryuujitk Wii Code: NetworkWiiU-1
    We don't have a user accessible name change system. If one wanted to change their name, they would need to get in contact with an Admin and request one. These requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, & there is a 6 month time period between each request.

It will most likely stay this way in the future as well, but I do like your suggestion. For higher ranked members I could possibly look into adding a name change system.

well, this should be able for those who have more than 500+ posts or 300+ posts (idk it's an example)

every forum have this, so i don't see why this is so diff to implement.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    The name change idea is usually a good sounding one.

On a personal level, not being able to know people by their original name and having to learn their new one is always noodley.

On a higher level, changing ones name 2x over each 30 days is a good lot. If a member were to change their name 2x every 30 days, they would have 24 names, (23 if you concern 30 days and not actual months, which would mean February would mess things up concerning that,) keeping up with those names and changing those names would be rather noodley. If we are talking about abusing the system, that wouldn't be considered abusing it, but it would be rather crazy if some users had 23 names within a year, or possibly less, but 10 could be considered a lot as well.

On a heightened level, I would say that name changes are quite difficult, as RyuujiTK has said. Concerning why it's difficult, take SI for example.

SI has a system where you post in a thread titled 'Name Change' to change your name. In order to do this, you must go through a process where you list all of your previous names, and then the name you wish to have. However, members usually get those new names months later, for one guy it was a year later, and this is due to having to have the admin look through it and basically it's just an easier way to do what RyuujiTK explained, except, you aren't going directly to the admin, you're simply posting something somewhere that the admin will eventually look at to do something about.

SI in particular was not too good about this because that admin did not check the forums often after a certain point in time due to a certain thing.

Regardless, if we had a system that allowed people to change their name without having to waste an admins time, our time, etc, it could work. But it would be better if it was done for users who used the site more often, or are generally somewhat intelligent (Not a dupe account.)

I've always thought of doing the name change system in the form of a poll. If a user wanted to change their name, they would post a thread in a certain section with their current name, and then their wanted name. Users who have the ability to change their own name (Users who have been a part of the forums for a while) would be able to vote to change the users name, or to keep it the same. This way the community can deem whether the name is inappropriate or not, and also save a lot of time concerning when the name is changed.

This way not only do users get a name change fast, assuming the poll has a time limit, but also other users can know who that person is. For example, if Madara changed his name to 'Numbers' through the SI system I would not know it until someone told me because I don't look in that thread. However if I were to use thread system where Madara asked the community (Myself and other members,) I would know who Madara is now, now he is Numbers, and I would vote for the name change not because it's a good name, but simply because it's an appropriate name and that it would be fine to use as a name for this forums.

One thing that should be mentioned is that this system is not based on whether you like a name change or not, it's based on whether the name is appropriate or not. For example, some guy can't use a name like (Insert cuss-tacular name with sexual preference for some reason here) because it's inappropriate for the forums.

However that idea has flaws, like for example, bias towards or against the user, the name itself can create bias or possibly feuds between members, etc. But in using a system like that, it would be up to the main forums community to make the correct decision concerning a users name change.

Noodles have been served.

"This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Lee View Post
    well, this should be able for those who have more than 500+ posts or 300+ posts (idk it's an example)

every forum have this, so i don't see why this is so diff to implement.
    500 posts is way too low to let a user freely change their name honestly.
    Last edited by Kira; 09-21-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    500 posts is way too low to let a user freely change their name honestly.
    well i'd say 1k is enough, but then again, the forum is kind of new, and the majority of the members haven't even reached the 100 posts, so idk.
    @Electrorocket, i agree with anything you said, but tbh the voting system sounds kind of stupid, why would someone influence in the name you want to have/change.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Green days are over View Post
    well i'd say 1k is enough, but then again, the forum is kind of new, and the majority of the members haven't even reached the 100 posts, so idk.
    @Electrorocket, i agree with anything you said, but tbh the voting system sounds kind of stupid, why would someone influence in the name you want to have/change.
    Not influence. You would say the one name you want, people vote for it.

However I should say I was quite drunk while typing that noodle.

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Electrorocket View Post
    However I should say I was quite drunk while typing that noodle.

Shaken not Stirred SusanooKyuubi's Avatar
    Honestly, the idea of name change sounds great, probably won't use it, being that I already have an awesome name, but it is nice to have the option. Though I do see some of the issues being that I've had admins as friends from other forums who had told me of the hassles.

I do remember in one major anime forum I was on (Not going to say which one :P) Name changes could only be given to users who either had

a)A premium account, however the you had to pay to renew the premium (but the name change would stay no matter what) and I can see how this option can turn people away...

or

b)Users would place first in some contest and were awarded what essentially is equal to a premium account, only free. However it was only temporary and after a certain amount of time, the "premium" ran out but the name change would be permanent (obviously)

There are more perks to the Premium and first place reward stuff, but I'm only listing the stuff relating to name changes.

That's my two cents on the matter, I really don't know the current policy on this site. Heck, some of the stuff I listed may be standard for most Forums, I don't know :P
    Last edited by SusanooKyuubi; 09-22-2014 at 05:04 AM.
    Do you know your way around the craft?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SusanooKyuubi View Post
    That's my two cents on the matter, I really don't know the current policy on this site. Heck, some of the stuff I listed may be standard for most Forums, I don't know :P
    Lemme telly ou thes tandard.

Here's what it is.

2 cents for premium membership, you already gave it so you already have it.
    Premium membership is exactly the same as standard membership except you get to say you have premium membership.

My Youtube Channel

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Bonly3 Steam ID: Bonly
    I agree with BL. After a poster reaches a certain amount of post let them change their name(give them a set amount they could use). After all of their name changes are gone they are screwed for a bit. Maybe let them get a extra name change after six+ months have gone by or something of that nature. And give BL back his name change you monsters

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RyuujiTK PSN ID: RyuujiTK Steam ID: psn_ryuujitk Wii Code: NetworkWiiU-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Antdog View Post
    I agree with BL. After a poster reaches a certain amount of post let them change their name(give them a set amount they could use). After all of their name changes are gone they are screwed for a bit. Maybe let them get a extra name change after six+ months have gone by or something of that nature. And give BL back his name change you monsters
    As of now, it was decided that users would be able to change their name after 5,000 posts. You have a total of 5 name changes within 180 days of each other. If you ever wanted your old name back, you also have the ability to revert to your last "previous username". If that's ok with everyone we'll leave it at that.

As for Brandon Lee's name change, I changed it via request before any name system was implemented. To be fair with our other users it was reverted. But the system was originally his idea, & it was changed before we set any rules. So if all the other Mods/Admins are ok with letting it slide, I can change his name back.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RyuujiTK View Post
    As of now, it was decided that users would be able to change their name after 5,000 posts. You have a total of 5 name changes within 180 days of each other. If you ever wanted your old name back, you also have the ability to revert to your last "previous username". If that's ok with everyone we'll leave it at that.

As for Brandon Lee's name change, I changed it via request before any name system was implemented. To be fair with our other users it was reverted. But the system was originally his idea, & it was changed before we set any rules. So if all the other Mods/Admins are ok with letting it slide, I can change his name back.
    Well shit you don't want anyone to change their name anytime soon do ya lol.

Good good, mods let the spring time of youth burst and let BL have his name back

Blog Entries
    Oh, sweet. It's good to see that username changes will happen. It was one of the first things that I asked for in the suggestions thread. Some of us are still trying to get acquainted with everybody and having name changes available early on would be confusing. I like the system for the most part, although 5,000 posts seems like something I do not think I could ever achieve lol.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: bpcraftsman14 Wii Code: SurgeonOfDeath14
    Sounds good to me. I'll never change my name tho.

I say give BL his name change.

The Start of a New Era

5000 posts is a stupid idea (no offense meant). I've been active on SI since 2012 and i've only got 3k posts so 5k is pretty much unobtainable for most casual users. You'll probably just get people making dupe accounts to get their preferred name faster

oh god 5k, i'm very active in narutoforums and i haven't even reached 3k yet.

5k sounds like impossible.

btw thank you all gais.

Gamer IDs

Would everyone be ok with 1,500 posts instead of 5,000? If not post a reasonable number that you think would work best for everyone.

well, 1,500 sounds better than 5k indeed.

Blog Entries
    Anywhere from 750-1,500 seems reasonable to me.

Saigo no Getsuga Tenshō Mugetsu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ew, xbox~ PSN ID: chanman303
    Indee-diddly-iddly.

yeah even 1.5k it's kind of strict as well, but if it's okay for everyone i guess it's way better than 5k.

Kagura is right, something between 750-1500

750+1500
    /2 = 1125

Gamer IDs

I was thinking 1K was a nice solid number to go with

Gamer IDs

Alright, the minimum amount of posts for a name change has been set to 1000.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Groovy.

My Youtube Channel

Thread Information