Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: So, what's the deal with One Piece?

  1. #1

    So, what's the deal with One Piece?

    Not meant to be mean or anything. Just curious about why exactly people like it so much.

    Is it just because of no retcons and appropriate power scaling? It just seems like the basic core plot isn't that interesting... IDK, jsut never really got why it's hailed as the greatest Shonen or whatever. I guess I could read or watch it myself, and the new One Piece game looks like it's a single player game starting from the beginning and going through some of the story, which is what I'd want a Naruto game to be...

    So, OP fans, if you don't mind me asking... what exactly is the "hook"?

  2. #2
    Organization 13 Antdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In Rendarg's house hiding
    Posts
    294
    Rep Power
    19
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Bonly3 Steam ID: Bonly
    It's just good overall. It has many many many great characters, the pow*ers characters can use in the form of Haki and Devil fruit are unique and add a twist on how battles are fought, the world building in OP is amazing, the plot of the story is fun and enjoyable, the battles are fun to watch alot of the time and the power scale isn't all that bad either, ect. Though some people don't like the art style and the pacing can be a bit bad here and there(pacing even worst for the anime after the EL arc). Give it a try when ya have some free time




  3. #3
    Heavenly Demon Young Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Dressrosa
    Posts
    725
    Rep Power
    28
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: ItzAPILLOWPET
    If you are going to give it a go, at least finish Arlong Park.

  4. #4
    Personal Trainer/IT-Guru Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rivendell
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    19
    Agreed. Most people quit One Piece after the first arc, because it till that point seems kinda generic even. To me, One Piece features the most likable set of characters in the shonen circus. You get closer to Luffy than you do to Naruto or Ichigo, and especially the side characters, to me, are vastly superior to those series. Goku and Luffy are pretty similar in my book when it comes to likability.

  5. #5
    I am Me. Electrorocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Electrorocket Estate
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    One Piece.

    Pirates.


    It's aight. I believe it's over hyped, but I should say that it is definitely one of the best Shonen that exists, or at least it is better than the other Shonen manga by a lot.

    If, that is, you can get past the art style of the manga, which translates into the anime a bit. I personally cannot stand watching the anime, but the manga is good.

    What it is good at is it's ability to create plot-lines and stories that you probably couldn't get in other manga. The world is very open and free, much like Luffy himself. It changes all the time, villians are amazing and vibrant, most characters have their own odd laugh, and there's more, but I personally am not one to talk a lot about One Piece.

    "This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

  6. #6
    Ultimate Hope RMGMDPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    21
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: InfernoUchiha Steam ID: MD_Punk Wii Code: MD Punk
    >basic core plot

    What? To become the Pirate King?

    Yeah because that's so much better than I WANNA BE THE HOKAGE and shit.

    But seriously, read it. It's the best for many, many reasons.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RMGMDPunk View Post
    Yeah because that's so much better than I WANNA BE THE HOKAGE and shit.
    ? There's a lot more to Naruto's core plot than that... In fact, that hasn't really been too important in the long run of the series...

    so far, all I've managed to see is that it's the best at power-scaling and giving all characters good screentime... Which is fine and all, and something I'd love to see more in general (even if my shonen knowledge is limited to DBZ and Naruto, and FMAB if that counts), I just want more of a core story than just "to find the ultimate treasure".

  8. #8
    Ultimate Hope RMGMDPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    21
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: InfernoUchiha Steam ID: MD_Punk Wii Code: MD Punk
    No, the very core of Naruto's plot is his dream to become Hokage. Don't be silly and act like it isn't.


  9. #9
    I am Me. Electrorocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Electrorocket Estate
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    ? There's a lot more to Naruto's core plot than that... In fact, that hasn't really been too important in the long run of the series...

    so far, all I've managed to see is that it's the best at power-scaling and giving all characters good screentime... Which is fine and all, and something I'd love to see more in general (even if my shonen knowledge is limited to DBZ and Naruto, and FMAB if that counts), I just want more of a core story than just "to find the ultimate treasure".
    Being the Pirate King isn't about treasure in one Piece. And like Naruto, nobody really talks about Luffy becoming the Pirate King, he basically gets side-tracked because of his wanderlust and his awesomeness. However it's done in a much better way than Narutos plot line.

    However there isn't a core-story to One Piece. Well, there is one, but it's done in a way that there are multiple core stories within the wanting to become a Pirate King. It sets up the same group within a new setting (settings which are vast btw, from an island that's half ice and half volcano, to an island where giants roam, etc) and new powerful villians, funny/dramatic/cool side characters, etc.

    One Piece honestly reminds me of Cowboy Bebop in how it does that. Not any other way though, mainly just the setting/characters thing.

    The main difference being that shows like Naruto, the villians have existed forever throughout the series and it's all one big Arc from what I can tell, like the Akatsuki or whatever other dudes, and everybody knows everyone somehow or something. In One Piece, characters show up out of the blue, being crazy and insanely random sometimes. Every setting has it's own story and it's own stories that separates it from other settings. Like the whale. Oh the whale. That sh*t be emotional.

    "This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

  10. #10
    I am Me. Electrorocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Electrorocket Estate
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    Quote Originally Posted by RMGMDPunk View Post
    No, the very core of Naruto's plot is his dream to become Hokage. Don't be silly and act like it isn't.
    But it isn't though.

    I don't get why people say it is.

    I thought it was about Naruto and Sasukes homosexual relationship.


    "This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

  11. #11
    Heart Pirates SurgeonOfDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Dressrosa
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    22
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: bpcraftsman14 Wii Code: SurgeonOfDeath14
    Definitely give it a go, describing it doesn't do it justice, you have to experience it. Like YM said, at the very least get past the Arlong Park arc, as it's the first true badass arc.

    People slam on it for having a different artwork and lackluster pacing at times, but it's not really noticeable to me so I wouldn't know.

    Best parts about it are by far the character development (absolutely astounding, you'll see what I mean especially after Enies Lobby), the world (huuuuuggggeee open world where anything can happen), and the power scaling. You don't have the main character running around using nakama punch to defeat people way above his power level. There aren't any unrealistic power boosts either.

    As for the plot, "Pirate King" is just the protagonist's dream. Far from being the whole story. The plot is very immersive, and very "microscope/telescope". What I mean by that is that you'll get lost in all these minor stories and arcs, and then take a look at the big picture and how it affects the manga as a whole and just be like "Damn."


    The Start of a New Era

  12. #12
    Saigo no Getsuga Tenshō Mugetsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Dangai Precipice
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    22
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: ew, xbox~ PSN ID: chanman303
    As Surgeon said^

    While I personally prefer Bleach, One Piece is amazing. The storytelling is fantastic and it simply requires a little time for you to really feel that sense of grandeur. The world building is masterfully done, and things that may seem like minor details may actually become really important. "Microscope/telescope"... aptly put :P You have many mini stories and facets to said stories that alone would capture your attention, from the fishmen, to the Tenryuubito(u?), to the Shichibukai, to the Revolutionaries, the World Government and the Marines, the Yonkou, and even the just the Straw Hats, yet there's always a bigger picture and everything is connected~

  13. #13
    Heavenly Demon Young Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Dressrosa
    Posts
    725
    Rep Power
    28
    Gamer IDs

    Steam ID: ItzAPILLOWPET
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugetsu View Post
    As Surgeon said^

    While I personally prefer Bleach, One Piece is amazing. The storytelling is fantastic and it simply requires a little time for you to really feel that sense of grandeur. The world building is masterfully done, and things that may seem like minor details may actually become really important. "Microscope/telescope"... aptly put :P You have many mini stories and facets to said stories that alone would capture your attention, from the fishmen, to the Tenryuubito(u?), to the Shichibukai, to the Revolutionaries, the World Government and the Marines, the Yonkou, and even the just the Straw Hats, yet there's always a bigger picture and everything is connected~
    This. The world building is amazing. Everything is connected like one big spider web. Always something new to discover and explore. Every time the SH's progress, the world progresses with them. There's also all the secrets we are still dying to figure out and shit to look forward to(thanks to foreshadowing). It's worth a shot, I mean what's there to lose? If you get into it, you will have something new to look forward to every week when Naruto ends.

  14. #14
    Eh I guess I'll give it a try, I did read the first chapter a while ago and I am intrigued by the concept of building a "guild" of sorts. I just didn't really get why everyone said it was so great. I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best" and was curious about if One Peace was any different.

    Questions, though: 1. Is the anime for it decent? And 2. That new game that was jsut announced, it says it goes up to a certain arc. Which chapter does that arc begin/ end, so I can have an idea how much that game covers as I'm curious?

  15. #15
    Ultimate Hope RMGMDPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    21
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: InfernoUchiha Steam ID: MD_Punk Wii Code: MD Punk
    the fact that the last battle in Naruto revolves around the title of Hokage and what it means, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread. Being Hokage IS the core plot of Naruto otherwise it wouldn't be such a big topic for the final battle of the series.

    Also

    >I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best"

    Bullshit! His final goal is to be the Hokage aka the Most Recognized and Best Ninja in the village!


  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by RMGMDPunk View Post
    the fact that the last battle in Naruto revolves around the title of Hokage and what it means, I just want to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread. Being Hokage IS the core plot of Naruto otherwise it wouldn't be such a big topic for the final battle of the series.

    Also

    >I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best"

    Bullshit! His final goal is to be the Hokage aka the Most Recognized and Best Ninja in the village!
    Yes, because there is absolutely nothing more to the story than him just trying to be hokage >_>

    Are you serious? >_>

    And you're saying the final battle jsut has to do with being Hokage?

    ... You can't possibly think that. I mean, it's not like their motivations are hidden or anything >_>

  17. #17
    I am Me. Electrorocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Electrorocket Estate
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    Oh. I was thinking about the idea of what an actual Hokage is.

    However in this case, Naruto and Sasuke have varying opinions on what Hokage is, both are very different from any other Hokage or leader before them.

    Regardless, if the core plot of Naruto was about becoming Hokage, that would mean that there is no-

    Sh*t I can't go there it be too much dawg.

    "This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

  18. #18
    sera da bess
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    16
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: jvmrtnz
    just give it a go. the art takes some time getting used to.

    but once you get going the story will keep you wanting more and you'll forget about the art in the beginning.

  19. #19
    Heart Pirates SurgeonOfDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Dressrosa
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    22
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: bpcraftsman14 Wii Code: SurgeonOfDeath14
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Eh I guess I'll give it a try, I did read the first chapter a while ago and I am intrigued by the concept of building a "guild" of sorts. I just didn't really get why everyone said it was so great. I guess I just liked how Naruto actually tried to do something more than just "be the very best" and was curious about if One Peace was any different.

    Questions, though: 1. Is the anime for it decent? And 2. That new game that was jsut announced, it says it goes up to a certain arc. Which chapter does that arc begin/ end, so I can have an idea how much that game covers as I'm curious?
    1) Sort of. It's gone down in quality but I think it's good in the beginning. If you do watch it, skip the filler arcs except for the G8 arc. You can do a quick Google search to find out where the fillers start and end. The G8 arc starts right after Skypeia.

    2) I assume you're talking about Pirate Warriors 3? It goes from the beginning until the current arc - Dressrosa arc.


    The Start of a New Era

  20. #20
    Ultimate Hope RMGMDPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    21
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: InfernoUchiha Steam ID: MD_Punk Wii Code: MD Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Yes, because there is absolutely nothing more to the story than him just trying to be hokage >_>

    Are you serious? >_>

    And you're saying the final battle jsut has to do with being Hokage?

    ... You can't possibly think that. I mean, it's not like their motivations are hidden or anything >_>
    Do you seriously not know what the CORE plot of the series is? For any series, the core plot is the most basic form of everything and doesn't include all of the branching storylines. Naruto's goal and driving force for the entire series has been to become Hokage. Are and Electrorocket really trying to pretend it's something else?

    Because it really isn't.

    Also the dialogue so far for the last battle is about the meaning of Hokage so if you look at just that battle, that's what it is about.


  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by RMGMDPunk View Post
    Do you seriously not know what the CORE plot of the series is? For any series, the core plot is the most basic form of everything and doesn't include all of the branching storylines. Naruto's goal and driving force for the entire series has been to become Hokage. Are and Electrorocket really trying to pretend it's something else?

    Because it really isn't.

    Also the dialogue so far for the last battle is about the meaning of Hokage so if you look at just that battle, that's what it is about.
    Are you honestly saying that the past 700 chapters have just been about Naruto trying to become Hokage?

    That it hasn't been about acceptance or hatred? Thatit's just been about Naruto trying to become the best?

    And you honestly think Naruto and Sasuke are fighting over the title of Hokage? Have you missed the entirety of their conversation?

    What the ****ing shit... I find it ahrd to beleive ANYONe can be this ****ing retarded...

  22. #22
    I am Me. Electrorocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    The Electrorocket Estate
    Posts
    489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    23
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Electrocket2 Steam ID: Electrorocket2
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Are you honestly saying that the past 700 chapters have just been about Naruto trying to become Hokage?

    That it hasn't been about acceptance or hatred? Thatit's just been about Naruto trying to become the best?

    And you honestly think Naruto and Sasuke are fighting over the title of Hokage? Have you missed the entirety of their conversation?

    What the ****ing shit... I find it ahrd to beleive ANYONe can be this ****ing retarded...
    Hey man, he's saying it's the core plot, not the core message or meaning of the story.

    Although nothing having to do with being Hokage has happened, it is the 'Core Plot,' that paves the way for Narutos character development and now other characters as well apparently.

    "This is Adolf Reinhart." - Narrator for Terra Formars
    My Youtube Channel

  23. #23
    Ultimate Hope RMGMDPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    363
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    21
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: InfernoUchiha Steam ID: MD_Punk Wii Code: MD Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Are you honestly saying that the past 700 chapters have just been about Naruto trying to become Hokage?

    That it hasn't been about acceptance or hatred? Thatit's just been about Naruto trying to become the best?

    And you honestly think Naruto and Sasuke are fighting over the title of Hokage? Have you missed the entirety of their conversation?

    What the ****ing shit... I find it ahrd to beleive ANYONe can be this ****ing retarded...
    I find it hard to believe that your reading comprehension skills are so shitty. You were talking about how basic the core plot of One Piece is since it's "To Become the Pirate King" and all that. But when it comes to Naruto clearly the MAIN CHARACTER/TITLE CHARACTER's goal is NOT the core plot? Maybe you should think before you speak.


  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SurgeonOfDeath View Post
    You don't have the main character running around using nakama punch to defeat people way above his power level. There aren't any unrealistic power boosts either.
    na enes lobby was full of nakama punch

    but it gets a pass for being awesome.

  25. #25
    The Hated One Dark sasune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    In The Void
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    19
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Dark Sasune PSN ID: tboneESLB Steam ID: Dark_Sasune Wii Code: Dark Sasune
    The thing with one piece that makes it really good(Although being overhyped) is that when you read the manga the characters are all interesting and they have alot of character development. It doesn't really Have to focus on the story to be interesting, You just want to watch them grow and develop. This is the one manga where if anything shit happended or POS you can look away because the world is so immerseful.
    While naruto is forced to just focus on plot with little to no character devlopment.
    If you like Naruto, you will definitely like One Piece.
    Last edited by Dark sasune; 09-29-2014 at 03:59 AM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •