Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Shonen of ALL TIME?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: SilverDBZ

Best Shonen of ALL TIME?

Hunter x Hunter hands down, even though Katekyo Hitman Reborn is my favorite. What do you all think?

kurapika-gon-killua-leorio-hunter-x-hunter-2011-anime-hd-wallpaper-n00.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Hikikomori BeyondManga's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BeyondManga
    If by Shonen you mean the magazines then I can't really choose just one. but these are some of my faves
    YuYu Hakusho

Shaman King

Outside of the Shonen Jump magazines it'd probably be

Beyblade (Seasons 1-3)

Trigun

Inuyasha
    Last edited by BeyondManga; 07-09-2014 at 02:33 AM.
    Strong will can stir the heart, but a will too strong can cut off the heart's visibility. The sorrow of a man bereaved of his family turns into hate, which eventually metamorphosises into the intent to kill. The man's finger reaches for the trigger. Sin changes people. Sin begets sin, but I, I still want to believe. I still want to believe in the heart. The heart that feels the sin.

In terms of the genre then it'd have to be one of the two: Naruto and Toriko, believe it or not. It's the only series that has represented this genre that has had me captivated for so long.

Now don't get me wrong, Naruto is far from my favorite series, I don't think it'd even be in my top ten, but as for the genre I think it represents it the best from what I like. Of course I like things such as HunterxHunter, Medaka Box, etc., but all of them don't represent the genre for me. As for Toriko, the originality and the spirit that the series carries makes me feel like I'm reading something like DBZ when I was a kid, only Toriko has a pretty good plot.

As for HxH the only arc that really feels like it represents Shonen is the Chimera Ant arc. The rest feel borderline seinin with a twelve year old protagonist so it can go under the title of Shonen. In Medaka Box it breaks down most typical shonen tropes due to being a satire based on shonen, and that is a major reason why I can not consider it.

There are other shonen that I've read that I feel can fall into the Shonen category (Hitman Reborn, DBZ, YYH, OP, etc) but don't represent what I love about shonen. After thinking about it some more, I think I would pick Toriko over Naruto, but both represent things I love from Shonen and thus makes them my favorite shonen of all time (so far).

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Ootsutsuki
    Best Shonen of ALL TIME? Well in terms of sales it's most likely One Piece. However in personal preference, currently I believe Hunter x Hunter is taking that spot. However my favourite Anime is YuYu Hakusho so I'd say its that, however that spot is slowly being taken by Hunter x Hunter in my opinion.

"URUSAI URUSAI URUSAI!"

For Shonen I would with Fullmetal Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondManga View Post
    If by Shonen you mean the magazines then I can't really choose just one. but these are some of my faves
    YuYu Hakusho

Trigun

Inuyasha

Shaman King

Outside of the Shonen Jump magazines it'd probably be

Beyblade (Seasons 1-3)
    Trigun and Inuyasha aren't jump ^_^;;
    They were serialized by other companies
    I'd like to give thanks, to all the food ingredients of this world, ITADEKIMASU
    In the end, the meal was delicious, GOSHISOSAMA DESHTA

As for on going Manga that are ongoing. The peak of Shonen jump's 3 main Themes, is in the Top Manga out right now.

Naruto

One Piece

and
    Toriko

They have not only shown that they care for their friend's over their soul, but they have worked hard to be strong, and in the end, come out ontop with a great smile on their face. Valuing togetherness.

But of all time, I would have to say is the Father anime. The one who inspired all which is the tale of the Monkey boy who climbed the tower

Son Goku in Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z

The whole life of a boy, who started with nothing, and rose to be the protector of the universe, never backing down or giving up. His jovial tale taking him to new heights, I love this anime the most, not just for nostalgia. But because the truest Hero I've seen has gone through so much, to become so strong, and deserves everything he had. Everything he earned, for nothing was handed to him for free.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: justAphil Steam ID: justAphil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ootsutsuki View Post
    Best Shonen of ALL TIME? Well in terms of sales it's most likely One Piece. However in personal preference, currently I believe Hunter x Hunter is taking that spot. However my favourite Anime is YuYu Hakusho so I'd say its that, however that spot is slowly being taken by Hunter x Hunter in my opinion.

this and only this. Totally agree, my thoughts exactly! Maybe I am the only one, but I kind of wish that Ging and Yusuke would be kind of related to each other (some unknown family ties, they just look so similar), some very subtile manga relation. Nen seems to be an more advanced use of territory of YYH. But that's just too far fetched and is basically me seeing connections which do not exist
    You know you liked it~

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Toriko View Post
    Trigun and Inuyasha aren't jump ^_^;;
    They were serialized by other companies
    Thanks I've made corrections.
    Strong will can stir the heart, but a will too strong can cut off the heart's visibility. The sorrow of a man bereaved of his family turns into hate, which eventually metamorphosises into the intent to kill. The man's finger reaches for the trigger. Sin changes people. Sin begets sin, but I, I still want to believe. I still want to believe in the heart. The heart that feels the sin.

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondManga View Post
    Thanks I've made corrections.
    Anytime

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: ItzAPILLOWPET
    One Piece is my personal favorite. It will always be number one in my eyes.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Young Master View Post
    One Piece is my personal favorite. It will always be number one in my eyes.
    Dropped it after the first ten episodes. Don't think I'll pick it up again. Too childish. Plus I've had a fear of clowns ever since I went to the circus when I was a little kid. I dislike them with a passion.
    Last edited by BeyondManga; 07-10-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Um... best Shonen of all time... For me that means what represents the genre as a whole. Although I LOVE Medaka Box, it is a Satire on the Shonen Genre, so it is automatically eliminated, poking fun at the genre that it is representing. I would either have to say Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, or Naruto as the best Shonen of all time, as these series, in my opinion, represent the Shonen Genre the best.

Baby-on-Back Brawler Tatsumi Oga & Baby Beel's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Rampaging_Oga, BMW037
    Basically: Weekly JUMP.

Da~bu~i!

... I really should stop being lazy and watch something that isn't Naruto. My only fear is that, once I actually get into something, I get into it hard. Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    ... I really should stop being lazy and watch something that isn't Naruto. My only fear is that, once I actually get into something, I get into it hard. Eh.
    Hunter X Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Hunter X Hunter
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking of trying. I did watch the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood a long time ago, but for some reason never bothered continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSauron View Post
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking of trying. I did watch the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood a long time ago, but for some reason never bothered continuing.
    I definitely recommend Hunter X Hunter, it takes a tiny bit to get into it, but once it gets going, you are literally sucked in. FMA:B is good but from my experience, either you love it, like it, or just don't like it. I am in the category of "like it", it all just depends on what interests you.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sogeking3601
    Its OG dragon ball for me

Saigo no Getsuga Tenshō Mugetsu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ew, xbox~ PSN ID: chanman303
    Bleach is bae, Soul Society is like my favorite arc evarrrrrr.

I really did like Trigun tho, FMA/FMAB, Naruto, One Piece, HxH too, these my babies.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SidewaysBurner PSN ID: TubTub98
    1. Dragon Ball
    2. One Piece (need to catch up by alot, but when I was caught up it was pretty amazing.)
    3. Bleach

"Make sure you'll do your part, and SCREAM for me!"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yukiyomi Steam ID: Shippudencave
    You're just begging for bias replies and arguments.

Gamer IDs

Wii Code: bdon25
    0. Dragon Ball Z
    1. One Piece
    2. Hunter X Hunter
    3. Toriko

First Comes Rock!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SidewaysBurner PSN ID: TubTub98
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomi View Post
    Not necessarily, opinion is not fact, simple as.

"Make sure you'll do your part, and SCREAM for me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yomi View Post
    As long as everyone is respectful to each other's opinion on what is the "Best Shonen of All Time", there shouldn't be any arguments.

Thread Information